Monday, March 4, 2024

Time travel to 2024

As I usually do, I got my first cards of the current year in a Time Travel Trade with Diamond Jesters. (Check out his contest!)

When I first saw the designs for this set, I was really excited. As a fan of vintage signage, and bright, shiny baseball cards, I really liked the images I saw online. I have to admit to just a twinge of disappointment when looking at the cards in person. The team names are the best part of what is otherwise a very pedestrian design. In person they are not very large, so in certain light you can barely make out the neon motif. Still, in better light the neon around the card and in the team name shine brightly. While it would be great if the picture selection and backs upped their game the way the design did, this is still the best base set Topps has put out in the past 15 years.

I don't think I will do what I did last year with Series II, just buy the whole thing in one swoop. Looks like it can be gotten for $30 on eBay. I don't really want to do $60 for a set. Trading can probably be done more cheaply if I stick to larger trades. (Anyone have large lots of 2024s available?)

Matt also included some cards beyond the base. The yellow parallel is fun, even if it doesn't totally mesh with the neon theme. My first thought there was the 1990 Toys R Us set. The Stars of MLB seems to be a regular insert feature each year. I like how the Chrome one has just a bit of refractor to it. This is a nice design. Of course, Topps being Topps, one of these "stars of MLB" has only three MLB at bats and is still looking for his first hit.



5 comments:

  1. Yeah, it's a good design.
    I seem to remember the Stars of MLB set actually being stars in its first year. Clearly, they've tanked it since.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got your end of the trade! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, they seemed to have lowered the definition of star of MLB, but I do like the design, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The design looks like it was created for a younger audience, which is great if it works; not so much if it doesn't

    ReplyDelete