Wednesday, March 27, 2024

Cards from Dan Williams

Got a fun PWE from OBCer Dan Williams that I thought was interesting enough to get it's own post.

Starting off with three vintage cards. I've seen the Phillies' Hamner listed as "Granville" and "Granny". The back of this card calls him "Gran". The Art Nehf 1961 Fleer card is interesting. 184 wins wouldn't seem enough to get you into an all-time greats set, even back then. However he had just passed away in December 1960 so maybe there had been more attention on his career when the set was being put together.

Some newer stuff. Dan found some '95 Select Certified that is on my wantlist. I'd forgotten it was there. I'd added it because Al had a lot in his boxes and I wanted to have my wantlist handy. The '90 Sportflics I knew I had on there. The Sportflics (not Sportflix) cards are somewhat of a priority of mine for modern cards. In 1990 I bought one pack, it was something like three cards for a dollar, and I was so disgusted I didn't buy more. A lot of others probably thought the same because I don't come across this set very often.
Finally, some 1997 Upper Deck. I love the dated captions. Both Yankee cards have a spring training shot. Ruben Rivera's is dated 3-13-96. Tino Martinez's is dated 5-13-96. I assume that's an error, and was probably shot the same day as Rivera's. And speaking of March baseball, Edgar Martinez's card is from the first ever March regular season game. Fast forward to 2024 and looking forward to some March regular season baseball tomorrow!


2 comments:

  1. The Bowman's are nice, but I really like the Nehf. He may not have been a great per se, but it's cool to see guy like that from a set like this.

    ReplyDelete