Saturday, March 9, 2024

1976 SSPC Don Gullett

 

The card, in brief: It has unintentionally become Don Gullett week here. Just a coincidence that two of my different "series" landed on the same player. Some commenters on Thursday's post mentioned Gullett's "confused" or "deer in the headlights" face. Looks like we're getting that here too. I guess this is the dugout, with some helmets on hooks behind him, but I almost think this might be somewhere inside the stadium, between the dugout and the clubhouse? It's certainly a unique vantage point.

Playing career, in brief: See my writeup on Thursday. Tl;dr: A good pitcher, with a great won-loss record, felled by injuries in the prime of his career.

Post-playing career, in brief: Reds pitching coach for 22 years (1993-2005). Gullett, who had a history of heart problems including two heart attacks before the age of 40, died of heart disease in February.

My collection: I have 19 of his cards, from 1971 to 1980. I would be interested in trading for 1977 Burger King Yankees #6.

2 comments: