Wednesday, March 6, 2024

Latest vintage star pickups

Two weeks ago I had my smallest Greg Morris auction pickup yet, just seven cards. Some good ones though, I love football cards that show Yankee Stadium, and I love '62 Topps football. And Ted Williams brings me to just 11 more needs for 1969 Topps! (Still need three more managers, oddly - Hodges, Martin and Weaver.)

Then last week I was able to snag quite a few more. There's "Ol' Reliable", Tommy Henrich, two all-time great pitchers, Ford and Gibson, whose cards seem to generally be undervalued, and a card of 24-year-old Tommy John, who on the back of the card Topps predicts a "long and bright" future. Bright, yes, and certainly long! These weren't all, though.
I picked up seven more Bell Brand Dodgers from the early 60's. I am really loving the photography on these.
The '61 Willie Davis deserves it's own photo. This is one of the best looking cards I've ever seen. I wish the tape stain wasn't partially obscuring the car (anyone know the make/model?) but it still looks fantastic.
On to other pickups. Another tape-stained card, but still a great-looking card of a Yankee legend.
Another Yankee legend, in his Yankees chest protector, no matter the offending logo on the banner.
Here's a terrific card. It's a great photo, even though it's not of the game described, which was at Yankee Stadium. Mantle's walk-off homer wasn't enough for the Yankees to stop the Cardinals from eventually winning the World Series.
Can't believe I got this for under $15. The 1935 Diamond Stars Al Lopez was one of those card I had a Dover Reprint of when I was a kid. Another instant favorite in my collection.
Here was my best pickup of the week. The five cards came from the seller via three lots for a total of $30. So basically $10 each for a Post Mickey Mantle (there's a little writing on it but nothing that takes away from the picture); an Aaron/Mathews Fence Busters, and a Carl Yastrzemski rookie card! Well most of one, anyway, but I don't mind the trimming on just a Red Sox card. I needed the Cardinals team card, too!

 

6 comments:

  1. I love the Diamond Stars card. What a little work of art.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Epic cards! Love the Gibson - and Yaz - and Bell Brands - and Maris - and Berra... Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been on a Bell Brand kick recently, and that was before I saw that Tommy Davis. Just an excellent baseball card (that I need to own!).

    And congrats on the Yaz! That's still a sweet card, trimming and all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This Dodger fan is way behind you guys on the Bell Brand pick-ups.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So many goodies... it's hard to choose a favorite. I guess I'll go with the Post Mantle... with the Diamond Stars Lopez a very close second.

    ReplyDelete