Thursday, March 21, 2024

Latest vintage star pickups

Lots of quantity in my most recent Greg Morris winnings, but most of these were in the ~$1 range, so that's OK. The two big ones were the '67 Oliva and '68 Palmer, didn't mind spending more for them as those sets are getting closer to the finish line. Here's most of those cards:

. . . but I had the most fun with ten additions to my 1957 set. Doby and Wynn were $3 each, but the rest were all from the tough mid-series and were $1.25 or less. For every Topps set from 1955 on I am over 50% except this one, still at 30%. '57s are tough to come by, no surprise as it's such a beautiful set.
There were only nine in that photo because I really wanted to highlight this one. I thought it was such an interesting looking card, with the light tower with advertising, and the Paul Smith's name and team blending in with the advertising on the outfield wall. I looked up the card to see if there was more information on it, and it was more interesting than I thought. There is a thread about this card on the Net54 message board. The photo was actually taken at El Gran Estadio del Cerro in Havana, where Smith was playing minor league ball at the time! The Net54 link even has the original photo used for the card.

The week before was another relatively modest lot, highlighted by several '63 Hall of Famers in various degrees of trimming.

 

I also bid on two '59 Drysdale's and ending up winning both. Happy to trade the one in better condition.

 

Others picked up over the past couple of weeks:

Very happy to pick up a '71 Clemente for under $10. Sure, it's trimmed, creased and stapled, but nothing important is missing. This was the last "big" card I needed for that set. I still need 76 more cards, almost all high-numbers. Still some moderately big names like Tony Perez and Dick Allen, but nobody left of Clemente's stature.

Another cheap very rough card, this one only set me back about $2. I still need over 100 cards from this set, and the high-numbers tend to be tougher. Still need Ryan, Carew, Garvey, some of the big traded cards. Still, nice to cross off this one.
A cheap, stained Duke Snider card.

Two Yankees from the '65 set, a low-numbered star and a high-numbered common, so they average out to about the same price-wise.
Every once in a while I bid on some pre-WWII cards if they seem cheap enough. Wouldn't have bid if I had taken the time to notice I already had the Wally Moses in this two-card lot. Well, it's trade bait now!



3 comments: