Thursday, July 23, 2020

Who will the ghosts be cheering for?

I was watching one of the Yankees-Mets exhibition games with my nine year old this week. Gary Sanchez hit a home run and the fake crowd noise kicked in. She said: "The ghosts are cheering!"

I wasn't even going to do an Opening Day predictions post, but the contest at The Bucs Stop Here inspired me. Below are my picks, though this year in particular really seems unpredictable. The short-season seems to be a disadvantage to an injury-prone team like the Yankees, but I'll always pick them first. Here are my picks (paired with some 50-year-old cards just for fun):

American League:
AL East Champion: Yankees
AL Central Champion: Indians
AL West Champion: A's
AL Wild Card #1: Rays
AL Wild Card #2: Red Sox

National League:
NL East Champion: Braves
NL Central Champion: Cardinals
NL West Champion: Dodgers
NL Wild Card #1: Brewers
NL Wild Card #2: Phillies

Most of these picks are pretty conservative, particularly the Division winners. I have a hard time counting the Red Sox out. I think the Astros will stumble with all of their controversies, and I can see the Nationals having a post-WS hangover too. And I wouldn't be surprised to see Girardi give the Phillies a big boost.

5 comments:

  1. Wow, I'm a Sox fan and I don't even think they'll make the postseason! But you're right, you can never count them out. ;)
    I actually think it'll work in the Astros favor to not have to listen to other crowds booing them and banging trash cans!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually have no clue when it comes to predictions but feel even less confident with this 60 game schedule. Should be interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice cards. Im going way out there and am predicting a Reds championship in 2020. Enjoy the season!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The A's win the West? I like the way you think. I'm not as confident as you, but I hope you're right.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bo, love the cards, and thanks for the plug! Since MLB revised the Postseason format, I'll need you to re-submit your picks - the post to do so is here!

    https://thebucsstophere.blogspot.com/2020/07/calling-all-contest-entrants-win-some.html

    ReplyDelete