Monday, July 20, 2020

Cards and vintage things: BINGO Winnings from Johnny's Trading Spot

I was fortunate to win some BINGO prizes from Johnny's Trading Spot. He sent me a large package with my winnings, some cards from a trade, and a really cool vintage non-baseball item.

These '19 and '20 set fillers are part of a separate trade.
The BINGO winnings start with these four '69 Deckle Edges. I need Bob Gibson for my set; the other three I had already and are up for trade.
 The rest of my winnings were about 500 O-Pee-Cards! Lots of cool stuff here.
1978-1981. I like the Bucky Dent Vedette de la L.A.
I had to show off this great one-of-a-kind card. While O-Pee-Chee was famous for updating the team of players traded in the off-season, that's not what happened here. The Mets didn't trade Mark Bomback to Toronto until April, too late for OPC to update his card. Unlike American kids who would just cross out the old name and scrawl in the new one, some young Canadian carefully cut the hat off of another Blue Jays pitcher's card and taped it precisely over the Mets cap on Bomback's card.
1982 and 1983. I like the way the All-Star and "Au Jeu" cards look in OPC. I also like the '83 OPC logo.
 Lots of '84 and '85! (Anyone working on the '85 set, let me know)
 Closing out the OPC section with a few from 1986-1992. By 1992 OPC had gotten lazy and didn't even bother writing Projet de Sélection on Benji Gi's card.
 Finally, Johnny threw in this old bottle. King's Brewery operated in Brooklyn in the 1930s, going out of business in 1938. It says "3 3" on the bottom of the bottle so maybe it is from 1933? I photographed it with one of the OPC cards, John Candelaria who was born in Brooklyn 20 years later.
 This is my first bottle in my "vintage things" collection. As I live in a very densely-populated area I don't have opportunities to go exploring in woods for old bottles, though I know some people do further out east. Here's a close up of the brewery name. Thanks Johnny for this great addition to my collection!

2 comments:

  1. Those OPCs are terrific, especially the late '70s/early '80s ones. The Bomback is a hoot! Never saw that before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, i didn't catch that Bomback card. Otherwise it may have made it's way to the landfill.

    ReplyDelete