Wednesday, July 29, 2020

1991 Columbia Mets

A couple of weeks ago Baseball Card Breakdown posted some Columbia Mets team sets that a reader named Alex sent him for his Tim Blackwell collection. On the top of one of the sets was this awesome Brooke Fordyce card.
I commented that I really like the background on this card. Alex saw my comment and reached out to me and asked if I would like a set too. So generous! This card had attracted my interest because of little snack building behind Fordyce and what appeared to be a traffic light behind. You don't see many traffic lights on baseball cards.

Turns out it is a traffic light! Associated with a railroad crossing. They've added some safety features in the last 30 years.

The cards are actually postcards, but I'm considering them baseball cards for my collection. Here's the Blackwell card that started it all:
 Double Trouble featured the two best players on the team, Aaron Ledesma and Fernando Vina.
 First basemen Bernie Millan is shown with his father and coach, former Met Felix Millan.
 Some more examples of the fun photography in this set.
Thanks Alex!

4 comments:

  1. You should see Brewster's Millions if you haven't yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool of Alex to hook you up! Yeah, it's a fun set.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought that might be a rail crossing in the background. I enjoy old MiLB team sets immensely. These are the card types I seek out for my old 89ers. Love the advertising on the outfield wall!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are one heck of a cardboard detective.

    ReplyDelete