Sunday, April 22, 2018

Baseball card story from Dylan Axelrod

Dylan Axelrod pitched for the White Sox and Reds from 2011 to 2015. In 59 games (34 starts), he went 9-15 with a 5.27 ERA. Now a youth baseball coach in Atlanta, he kindly answered my questions about baseball cards.

"I was a big collector as a kid. My favorite player was Ken Griffey Jr. I loved buying packs generally for the unknown and excitement of what might be within. Whenever I got a KG Jr card I put it in its own special binder. The 89 UD rookie was my holy grail but packs were $10 back in those days and I never bought them. I always wanted that card! Fast forward 20 years or so and I had told this story to my fiancé (we named our puppy Griffey and the story came up). My fiancé started buying me packs one in awhile. No luck! Then as part of her wedding gift to me, boom she bought me a PSA 10 autographed 89 KG Jr rookie. Holiest of the holy grails. Mind blown"
Thanks!

1 comment: