Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Baseball card stories from John Boles

John Boles has had a long career in professional baseball. He served two terms as manager of the Florida Marlins (1996; 1999-2001) and was Vice President, Player Development for the 1997 World Champs. Now with the Seattle Mariners as Special Assistant to the GM for Player Procurement, he kindly shared with me his stories about baseball cards.

"I collected baseball cards as a kid and saved them in the attic. When I went away to college, my dear mother threw them out in the trash...literally...and I had hundreds. Since Mickey Mantle was my favorite player and his rookie card was my favorite, I would trade with others for that card. I had quite a few. I know it's kind of cliche but it personally happened to me.

My favorite card of myself was from the Appleton Foxes in the Midwest League. We were Midwest Champions in 1983.
[He is at lower left]
Another card has an somewhat interesting story: that of the 1986 Omaha Royals. I was the manager and we were in a losing streak so everyone decided to grow a mustache. It is the only card I have with a mustache."

[He is at lower right]

Thanks! Here is a card of him from my collection.

2 comments:

  1. I never thought I would see that Brent Gjesdal card again. I used to have that autographed, when I was collecting autographed cards of players from Oregon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess it would be hard to win with players that tiny. Or maybe it's just that they're standing two miles from the camera..

    ReplyDelete