Sunday, May 5, 2024

Wallet Card with a MasterCharge sign (and others)

I was in Park Slope, Brooklyn on Friday afternoon and had some time to get in a few wallet card photos in.

This handpainted sign on a locksmith business notes that they take Visa and MasterCharge. This presumably predates MasterCharge changing their name to MasterCard in 1979.

The other two photos are both laundry related. I couldn't find much online about Anchor Laundry, for whom a faded ad is still visible above a restaurant. Seems they were pretty big in the 1920s, but I couldn't find a more recent reference.
Nearby was another cool laundry-related old sign. This style of "Wash & Dry" laundromat style was very popular in the 1950s. As a kid in the 1980s I remember one near me, perhaps you had one like that in your town. They are quite rare now. I like the awning too, advertising a "coin-op launderette".
I walked around for about half an hour taking these photos, all while carrying two large boxes of baseball cards. More on that next post!


1 comment:

  1. I like that these buildings still seem to have a lot of character. And I didn't know that Mastercard started off as Mastercharge; though I can see why they would've changed the name.

    ReplyDelete