Monday, October 26, 2020

Vintage backgrounds: Posing for a card photo while the game is going on

 There are probably other examples of cards with photos like this, but I can't think of another one offhand. On his 1959 Topps card, Reds catcher Ed Bailey is posing for a photo along the right field line, presumably in the bullpen area. The stands are full and you can see the right fielder waiting for a pitch to be thrown. Seals Stadium in San Francisco had a similar low grandstand in right field - was this actually taken in the middle of a game? 



3 comments:

  1. Cool. Also, Redlegs instead of Reds and that goofy logo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually have this card, and I've never noticed the full crowd. I did notice the name, which was changed due to tensions with the "Reds" in Russia. I think '59 was the last year of the "Redlegs" moniker before Cincy changed back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really need to start looking at what's going on in the backgrounds of my cards more often, because I had never noticed this scene either.

    ReplyDelete