Thursday, October 22, 2020

Vintage backgrounds: Elmer Valo on WOR 9

 These days seeing a TV camera on a baseball card is commonplace. They were pretty unusual to spot in the 1950s though. Elmer Valo's famous 1957 Topps card shows him in front of a camera for New York's Channel 9, WOR. New York fans my age will remember the Mets on Ch. 9 WOR and the Yankees on Ch. 11 PIX for decades. However, before the Dodgers and Giants moved to California, WOR carried both of their games. The red fence behind Valo indicates that this is Ebbets Field, not the Polo Grounds.



6 comments:

  1. WOR and PIX. Phil Rizzuto leaving the broadcast early to beat the traffic back home. Good times, Bo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome. This happens to be one of my all-time favorite baseball cards, learned something new about it today, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, WOR was the big sports station until we got cable! (I know you meant to say Channel 11 for WPIX.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. your knowledge blows my mind! this card is a fave in my collection.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That camera blends in very nicely, at least to me.

    I watched a ton of Yankees games on WPIX as a young lad.

    ReplyDelete