Wednesday, August 15, 2018

George Culver on baseball cards

George Culver pitched for six major league teams from 1966 to 1974. His best season was 1968, when he won 11 games for the Reds, including a no-hitter. Now a youth baseball coach in Bakersfield, CA, he kindly answered my questions about baseball cards.

"I may be one of the few guys to ever have 2 rookie cards from Topps.. the first was was in 1965 with Tommie Agee and the other was in 1967 with Jose Vidal.  


My own favorite card is the 1969 Reds card which I always sign with the no-hitter date.

Topps used my rookie Cleveland Indians uniform on three different cards, Indians, Reds, and Cardinals. 
 


I was a huge collector as a kid. In those days they all came with bubblegum inside and we called them bubblegum cards.. I had a huge selection in a shoe box including Mickey Mantle (my hero) and my mom gave them to a crippled kid after I signed and went off to play pro baseball in 1963... wish I had them all back."

Thanks!

1 comment: