Sunday, June 19, 2016

Larry Shikles on baseball cards

Larry Shikles pitched eight seasons of professional baseball, mostly in the Red Sox organization. In 264 games he went 70-68 with a 4.10 ERA. Now the Chief Investment Officer at Mosaic Family Wealth in St. Louis, he kindly answered my questions about baseball cards.

"My favorite card and story was my 1990 Topps card.  I was in triple A with the Red Sox.  The major league players were compensated over $7,500.00 to be a part of the set while the minor league players in the card set received $750.00.   Apparently there was a lawsuit against Topps for the huge discrepancy in pay that was settled a few years later and I received a $7,000.00 check in the mail in 1995.   Since I knew nothing about the lawsuit or settlement, the check was a nice surprise.  

I have a small card collection from when I was a kid but have not bought any cards in the past 30 plus years."

Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment