Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Player Profile: Tony Armas Jr.


I have seven cards of Tony Armas Jr. This one is from 2001 Bowman Heritage.

Playing career: Tony Armas Jr. pitched ten seasons in the major leagues, mostly for the Expos/Nationals, going 53-65. He led the National League in wild pitches in 2002.

My memories: I had such distinct memories of the slugging outfielder with that name that it was very hard to picture someone named Tony Armas being a pitcher.  Fathers and sons tend to be similar players; not so in the case of the Armases.

Where he is now: He lives in Venezuela. You can follow him on Twitter (@tonyarmasjr). I asked him if he has any baseball card stories and he replied “no, not really”.

Google Autocomplete results: He is eighth when you type Tony Ar, between Tony Arkin, an actor from the 1980s, and Tony Arts Easy Cleaner Free, referring to a computer registry cleaner. There do not appear to be any other prominent Tony Armas Jrs.

Coming up next: The next profile will be Ed Armbrister.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Bo

    Send me your email address. I have a bunch of cards on your want list

    thompsonck@msn.com

    ReplyDelete