Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Colin Young on baseball cards

Colin Young pitched in the Rockies and Red Sox organizations from 1999 to 2004. His best season was 2001, when he went 4-3 with 21 saves and a 1.42 ERA for the Salem Avalanche. Now a private baseball coach in Texas who has his own blog, Baseball Perspective, he kindly answered my questions about baseball cards.

- Do you have any stories about cards of yourself or of other players?
I collected cards when I was young and can remember getting my first complete set (Topps '86) and how excited I was. I had about 10 large binders full of cards that I think (and hope) are still at my parents' house. Don't worry though, my mom knows enough not to toss them....haha.



I remember being offered my first Topps contract and how thrilling it was. It felt like it legitimized my baseball career. When someone asks you if you played ball and you can direct them to your baseball card, it is a gratifying feeling.

- Do you have a favorite card of yourself or of another player?
I was a big Don Mattingly, Ken Griffey Jr., and Jack Clark fan. It's funny, Jack Clark ended up being my father-in-law so now I have so many of his cards I don't know what to do with them. I always wanted to get their cards. The first edition of Upper Deck with the Griffey rookie card was probably my favorite.


The cards I like of myself are the action photo ones. For some reason the still pose ones seem kind of cheesy to me.
- Do you collect baseball cards?
I don't collect anymore but I have started my sons on collecting. I really believe it was my love of baseball and the connection that the cards had to the players that increased my love for it. Every trip to the store I try and get them a new pack.

Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment