Saturday, December 19, 2020

Wallet Card at Woolworth

 I've made very few trips outside of my town the last few months, so my wallet card hasn't had many opportunities to poke it's head out. However I needed to get my car inspected, which gave me the chance to walk around the Freeport shopping district for a couple of hours, and I was able to take a lot of wallet card photos. Freeport is a town that was once prosperous but has seen hard times for the past few decades, meaning that there are lots of old stores that have never been thoroughly remodeled like you see elsewhere. I was able to find quite a bit of old signage peeking out.

There was a Woolworth location in Freeport from at least the 1920s to the early 1980s. There is still a ghost sign on the side of the building, though it is pretty faded. I found that the closer I got, the harder it was to see. If you peer closely you can just make out WOOLWORTH.

As I walked along the side of the building, I could find another bit of an old Woolworth sign. Both of these signs would have been at the back of the store which took up a full block.



1 comment:

  1. Man, Woolworth brings back some great childhood memories. Good spotting there, Bo!

    ReplyDelete