Saturday, December 26, 2020

Bingo Sweep

 I managed to score a complete sweep of Bingo last month at Johnny's Trading Spot. Easy to do when you are the only one who shows up! I don't know if Johnny is going to do those games anymore but here is what you missed out on:

Starting out small with a '62 Post Vada Pinson and two 2020 Panini inserts. Yep, a '62 Post is part of staring out small.

Next up, some hand-selected vintage needs for my sets.
Now we get into the portion of the package that could be considered "things I'd never seen in person". Here is my first ever Sportscasters card. It's from 1978 and looks really great in person.
Maybe because it is written by "sportscasters" but the back is a whole lot more negative than you would find on a regular baseball cards. I don't know if this is just for Kingman or if the set as a whole tried to be a bit more objective than the usual praise-only baseball card.
Sub-par fielder and strikeout king sounds like most of the Yankees today. Actually most of MLB plays like Dave Kingman these days.

Finally, there was this mysterious box. Fortunately Johnny put a post-it on the box describing what it was so I knew not to just tear into it. Even before I saw the post-it I was intrigued by the mailing label, which clearly wasn't recent.
I carefully opened the box keeping the mailing label attached and intact. Fun oddball thing to add to my collection. You'll see why. Inside was this hand-sealed envelope.
What's inside the "Touch-N-Seal" envelope?
A complete set of 1982 Kelloggs cards! Apparently if you purchased the whole set from Kellogg at once, this is how you got the set, hand-sealed in an envelope, then sealed in the larger box. 
The envelope contained sheets of three cards. Over the past 38 years most had completely detached but some were all or partially attached, like this:
And some sheets had one card upside down, like these three which were still completely attached.
Last time I got Kelloggs, my dupes got snatched up very quickly. I only had four of the cards from this set already, so these are the only ones up for trade this time:












5 comments:

  1. I'm glad someone else recently sent me a complete '82 Kellogg's set (in a very similar fashion) or I would've been mad I missed that. It's pretty difficult to participate in those Bingo games when they're on Friday nights. I know other people have weekend commitments but I'm usually working Friday nights, so it's tough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a really solid prize. I love that sheet with the upside down card, I probably would've framed that one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Sub-par fielder and strikeout king sounds like most of the Yankees today. Actually most of MLB plays like Dave Kingman these days."

    Agreed (unfortunately)! Great pickups for your collection, though. Very cool to see that Kellogg's set in the original packaging.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh... a Kellogg's factory set. Nice. That's exactly how my 1981 Kellogg's set came.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Johnny Generous! He was kind to invite me a couple of evenings which just isn't the best time for me, esp on Friday.

    ReplyDelete