Monday, December 14, 2020

A 1996 Stadium Club mystery

 When going through my cards from The Best Bubble, I noticed two different versions of Bernie Williams's 1996 Stadium Club "Team TSC" subset card, one with red foil and one with blue.

I looked in my Beckett almanac and on the internet, and could find no information on a parallel set. The blog Fan of Reds noted this same thing for a Barry Larkin card, but that's about it.

The TSC subset is about 100 cards in the 1996 Stadium Club set, and is somewhat short-printed compared to the rest of the set. I also have multiple copies of John Smiley's card, and when I checked my trade box I found that my two copies were also a red and a blue:
I have 30 cards in the Team TSC subset. Here they are. I counted 15 blue and 14 red. 
15 plus 14 is 29 and I said 30. That's because Kenny Lofton had to be different:
Yep, apparently there are gold foil versions too! Regular base cards in this set have gold foil, and there was apparently a silver foil parallel set that could only be purchase in complete set form. I have no idea if that is from this or something else.

Any information on these variations would be greatly appreciated! Unless someone knows of these being intentional parallels, I am inclined to chalk these up to printing varieties - maybe Topps ran out of a color at some point.



4 comments:

  1. There not variations in the truest sense of the normal use. Stadium Club used roll on rainbow foil during this release so depending on where the card laid on the sheet it may have received different foil treatments. Because of this randomness and non-repeating nature any version is a base version. "Variations" in foil type are like this throughout the set and no premium for any type of foil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice breakdown. Although I had no evidence to support my theory, this is what I was thinking. I realize that there is no premium for the different colors... but I do keep two Gwynns next to each other in my binder.

      Delete
  2. I've also seen this color variation happen on various 95 Stadium Club subsets. It's a little strange but I expect to be finding surprises in that set for years to come.

    ReplyDelete