Saturday, December 12, 2020

A generous bubble mailer

A few weeks ago, I showed a matchbook I got of former Yankee Bill Zuber, from his restaurant in the Amana Colonies in Iowa. Bob of The Best Bubble asked if I would like a color version. I was happy to receive it, and was quite surprised to see that it was accompanied with about 100 baseball cards. So generous!

Here's the color matchbook. The alphanumeric phone number makes it older than the one I had already; probably early 1960s.

This is not a matchbook - it's a matchbook-sized sewing kit, from a cleaners in Toledo, OH. Also probably early '60s.
Keeping these two little books safe in the package were about 100 baseball cards, mostly Yankees.
Bob even threw in some vintage. The only one I didn't have already was the '72 high number; the rest are available for trade, including a '53 and a '63. 
Here are some of my favorites from the modern Yankees. My favorites are the Stadium Club Mattingly and the Maas, an oddball from a set I've never seen before. That shiny Mariano is so awesome too.
A couple of hits to finish off - a Giambi uniform card and a Javier Vazquez autograph.





4 comments:

  1. Every collector should have a Blomberg.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neat stuff! The Bernie Williams minor league issues and Gooden insert stood out to me. I couldn't tell who is swinging a bat on the Turkey Red card between Mattingly and Boggs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool matchbook! That Maas is interesting too. Is it a minor league card or some variation of a Broder?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've almost got matchbook rainbow going now :)

    ReplyDelete