Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Phil Niekro (?) shares his favorite card

This morning I passed by Stop 'n Shop near the end of Senior Hour and I saw an old man come out who looked kind of familiar. He did have a big mask on his mouth and nose, but with the white hair I thought maybe it was Phil Niekro? As he hurried to his car with his cart full of groceries, I stopped and asked him what his favorite card was. It was hard to tell with his voice muffled by his mask, but I think he said

"My 1988 Score card - a dignified capper to a distinguished career, a wonderful reminder that I was able to spend twenty-five years in the major leagues."
Or maybe it was
"Get out of my way, jerk, before you give me the COVID!"

It was hard to tell with the mask.

7 comments:

  1. or maybe he offered you a knuckle sandwich??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love these deep dives with former players, great content as always, Bo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Phil (allegedly) does have a reputation for being impatient with people who interfere with his grocery shopping (but only at Shop 'n Stop). :)

    ReplyDelete