Saturday, April 25, 2020

Cards from Night Owl

Night Owl is one of many bloggers whom I owe packages to. I've got a box of football cards waiting for the pandemic to die down a bit more (I live on Long Island, one of the biggest hotspots in the country. Two blocks away from my house is a hospital which is at least 2/3 filled with COVID patients, and at least three employees have died.)

Night Owl sent my package off anyway, and I received it this week. A nice mix of baseball and football. I am not really actively collecting football so do ask me before sending any out. These however were a good boost to my '77 set.
I am a huge Yankees and Giants fan. Baseball more than football but I still follow the Giants very closely, though the last few years with growing children and sucky team means I rarely am in front of the TV on Saturdays anymore. But growing up I had lots of books on baseball and Yankee history. I know far less of football and Giants history. I knew of Ray Rhodes as a coach but didn't realize he was an ex-Giant. The other three Giants here are completely unknown to me. I'll have to find a book or something on Giants history.

There was baseball in the package too. A few '77 Galasso Greats. Some great photos here.
 And a nice boost to my '67 set. An oddity for me in this set is that I have a fair amount of high numbers but still need lots of commons for the earlier sets. '67 is maybe my favorite vintage set so I was very happy to get these.

4 comments:

  1. Great stuff, I like the '67 Hodges and Cleon Jones. The '77 Ken Anderson is a nice one, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Part of the fun part of collecting the '77 set is seeing all the players who became notable for doing something ELSE -- from coaching to announcing to acting to, uh, O.J. Simpsoning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That Banks is pretty cool. Is that five bats? Gotta be up there in regards to a player carrying the most bats on a single card.

    ReplyDelete