Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Cards and vintage things: Pepsi-Cola

Here's the start of a new segment, showing off some of the "old things" I have started to collect.  To make them more relevant to a baseball card blog I will include a relevant baseball card or cards.

As many of you know I like older Pepsi items. This has nothing to do with the drink, but because the signs are so prevalent in old images of Long Island and New York that I find they really "take me back" to a different era. Here are some 1960s and 1970s Pepsi items in my collection, including some 1977 Pepsi baseball card discs.
Here's another interesting Pepsi item. It's a 1968 payroll check from the Pepsi-Cola Bottling Company of Selma, AL. It is signed (stamped) by Carl Worley Jr. Worley was born in 1926, served in World War II, and after the war joined his family's soda bottling company. 1968 was a big year for Worley, who recognized that the soda business was shifting from bottles to cans, so that year he founded Carolina Canners, the first Pepsi cannery in the Carolinas.

4 comments:

  1. Are those the waxy paper cups? If so, I'm impressed that they're in such good condition!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm more of a Coke guy... but I do love those 1977 Pepsi baseball card discs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool post. Got to love those old paychecks with the machine-punched numbers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love old checks, but I haven't seen a lot of payroll checks though, so it was pretty neat to see this Pepsi one! I don't actively collect Pepsi items, but I do have a few bottles from the 60's and 70's that I've found out in the woods and/or pulled out of the creek in the last couple of years.

    ReplyDelete