Friday, April 17, 2020

Cards and vintage things: Pocket Calendars

I thought it would be cool to have a calendar from the 1960s on my desk to pretend I am in that time. I picked up a lot of 19 pocket calendars for $3 on eBay. I'm keeping the four oldest - the others I'd be willing to include in my next trade with someone.

Chris the Collector might find this particularly interesting - all were from New England, mostly from Connecticut.

Here are all the calendars, paired with a card from each year.

This is the oldest one, Montpelier National Bank in Montpelier, VT, 1968. I wanted to pair it with a player from Vermont but no-one from Vermont played MLB ball in the 1960s until Carlton Fisk's debut late in '69.
 It's worth showing the reverse of this one, with room for easily-forgotten numbers, including the Zip Code which was still pretty new at this time.
 It might be hard to tell from the picture but this 1971 Kodak calendar has the same lenticular technology as a 1971 Kellogg. Calendar is from Midtown Photo Center in Middletown, CT.
Here are two calendars from First National City Bank, which changed it's name to Citibank in 1976. Cool to have some First National City memorabilia. I really like the design on the '71. The '71 is from Citizens Bank & Trust in Glastonbury, CT. The '72 is from Home National Bank & Trust in Middletown, CT. I put them both with the Mets, who now play in Citi Field.
The rest of the calendars I'm less interested in keeping for myself. A couple of Jim Beam's, a Best Western, and the Savings Bank of Manchester in Manchester, CT.
 Two each from '82, '83, and '84, all available for trade as are the HOFers pictured with the calendars.
1982 - "Hire the Handicapped" from the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers, and Harrison's Stationers in Manchester, CT.
1983 - Manischewitz Wine and Savings Bank of Manchester.
1984 - Lowenbrau and Coventry Pharmacy in Coventry, CT.
The last five aren't even worth showing. They are all from Jakeman Realty in Ocean Park, ME - 1997, 1999, 2001, 2002 and 2004.

6 comments:

  1. Hmmm. Maybe I need to start a 1972 pocket calendar collection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a whole market out there for this kind of stuff. My uncle doesn't (didn't throw away) anything, it is a collector's heaven here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Check out my latest post. You could use this as your entry for my giveaway, if you wanted to enter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I figured ZIP codes started earlier than the 1960s!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are very interesting! I bet my mom had similar pocket calendars from local banks; probably New Haven Savings Bank (IIRC, their tagline was: "It's a very nice bank." lol).

    Some of the names on your calendars sound familiar. I definitely remember Citizens Bank & Trust, or CBT as I recall. The Kodak card is very cool, too.

    ReplyDelete