Monday, April 1, 2019

1981 Topps A's Future Stars

Skipping “front” and “back” for this card and just focusing on the players.

Dave Beard
The player: The clean-shaven Beard pitched for the A’s, Mariners, Cubs and Tigers from 1980 to 1989. In 172 appearances, almost all in relief, going 19-20 with 30 saves and a 4.70 ERA.

The man: Beard seems to have kept a very low profile during and after his career. I couldn’t find any information on what he did after his playing days.

My collection: I have 11 of his cards, from 1981 to 1990. I would be interested in trading for 1983 Fleer Star Stickers #187.

Ernie Camacho
The player: Camacho was the Indians’ closer in 1984, lost 1985 to injury, and returned to close again in 1986. Other than those two years his career was very brief, pitching for six teams in ten seasons, without pitching in more than 15 games other than those two years.

The man: Camacho works for the Alisal School District in California and is involved in many charitable causes.

My collection: I have 11 of his cards, from 1981 to 1990. I would be interested in trading for 1990 Mothers Cookies #21.

Pat Dempsey
The player: Dempsey never played in the major leagues. In eleven minor league seasons in the A’s, Orioles, Yankees, Indians and Twins organizations, he hit .268 with 46 HR and 436 RBI.

The man: A two-sport star, Dempsey has gone on to great success in golf. He is a four time World Long Drive Champion and a member of the Long Drive Hall of Fame. He is also an accomplished singer. In 2006 he sang the national anthems at an Orioles/Blue Jays game where his brother Rick Dempsey was an Orioles coach and his nephew Gregg Zaun was the Blue Jays catcher.

My collection: This is my only Pat Dempsey card. I would be interested in trading for 1987 ProCards #161.

1 comment:

  1. That is a pretty cool collection of info on Dempsey.

    ReplyDelete