Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Baseball card story from Max Walla

Outfielder Max Walla was the Brewers' second round draft pick in 2009. In 2012, at Class-A Wisconsin, he hit .234 with 7 HR, 41 RBI and 12 SB. He kindly answered my questions about baseball cards.

"When I was about 5 or 6 years old, I went to spring training in Tucson, to watch the White Sox play. Frank Thomas was and is my favorite player. I went to get him to go sign my jersey before the game and he did it. When he did I gave him one of my t-ball cards. Any guy would have been like what on earth is this little kid doing. But without missing a beat he goes, "Thanks buddy!!" He gave me a big smile and put it in his back pocket and kept going down the line signing autographs. Now he probably threw it in the trash when he walked back into the dugout and got a good laugh out of it with the guys on his team haha but it absolutely made my day. He was awesome. And it was a wonderful gesture. Physical talent and skills aside, that's why he will always be my favorite player. It was just so cool.

To answer your other question, no I don't really collect cards, but my favorite that I have is a Dustin Pedroia Upper Deck card. Great ballplayer and attitude."


Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment