Wednesday, November 22, 2023

Overpaying for Vintage Cards Part IV

I think I am starting to get a little better at not overpaying too much, maybe I can start renaming this segment soon. Maybe a bit fewer cards this week. One in particular though I am very excited to have, even though it's the most I've spent for a card yet.

 I did better with the Greg Morris auctions this week. Perhaps it's a bit tacky to list every price I paid for something. But I was able to keep it well under $100 this round. (These were purchased two Fridays ago but have just arrived. This past Friday I was not so restrained. I guess it's not time to rename this segment.) 

Almost everything here was under $3, the "commons" (1950s, team cards, high numbers) were all around $1. I will readily pay more for a low-numbered star than a high-numbered common, even if they are equal "value". I just get more excited to have an Ernie Banks card than a Gary Geiger. The more expensive ones here were Giant Gunners ($4, awesome photo of Mays and Cepeda), Fergie Jenkins RC ($10), '68 Banks ($8); '68 Brock ($5).

 I ended up with a bit of trade bait as well. I bid $3 on two different '68 Killebrew All Stars and won them both. And I just plain goofed, thought I needed the '66 Perez but I had it already.

Some more trade bait with a '72 Joe Morgan, in a $4 lot with a Rod Carew high-number I was glad to get a that price.

$16 seemed like a good price for eight 1967 Topps pin-ups. These are very nice but are basically newspaper so are very flimsy. One big name here . . .

. . . four more here!
$8 for a '64 Ford might be a bit much. I do like the p-Coach position.
"Hustler Banks" makes me laugh. And I love the unusual Cubs uniform. $7 maybe a little high but not bad.
Could say the same for the $7 I spent on a Post Koufax.
$12 for a second-year Kaline might be a little high but I like this card.

Finally, my first ever vintage Mantle! Not a Topps base card, but one of my favorite alternative Topps sets, the 1964 Giant! $23 shipped which is a lot for one card, but getting any kind of Mantle for under $20 is nearly impossible. It's really nice to have my own Mantle card in hand.



10 comments:

  1. You sure like to overpay for cards...lol! Actually some of those deals aren't bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All this time and that was your first vintage Mantle? Great pickups as always, there some real beauties in there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. '64 Giants are fantastic, nice pickups all around but especially the Mick.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very nice lot of cards with abundant star-power - love the Mantle and Koufax.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm always drawn to Greg Morris auctions (he has so many cool listings), but rarely bid b/c I have to pay extra for sales tax.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know you're getting big time when you start glossing over the vintage Don Drysdale's and Brooks Robinson's. My favorite here, is the '53 Bowman Gerry Staley. I love that card, despite not owning a copy yet. And congratulations on the Mantle, he looks pleased too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great Mantle! Those Topps Giants go for so much less than they could, given their superior images.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The '72 Carew in Action is a great pick up of a hard-to-find card. Get the Mantle graded. It is well worth the cost and will protect it as you know it is a bigger card.

    ReplyDelete