Monday, June 5, 2023

Garage sale pickup

For the first time in years, I went to a couple of garage sales on Saturday, and at one of them I actually found some cards worth buying. I ended up with two binders of minor league card sets, and a few loose pages from other binders the guy had. The cards were almost all in the 1991-1993 range so there wasn't a whole lot I need on the major league level. For $20 it wasn't bad. It's funny how if I saw this on eBay for $20 I wouldn't give it a second thought, but it's just more fun to buy in person.

The big binder had the 650-card 1991 Line Drive AA set. I didn't realize I already had over 2/3 of the set, but that still meant I needed almost 200 cards from it. The binders were picked over a bit, either before or during the garage sale. Some stars were missing and also some commons. So I still need ten cards, a couple of big stars (Pudge, Thome) and some commons as well. I stuck the numbers on my wantlist. And of course I have lots to trade, including some fairly big names that were still in there.

The loose pages I took included a near-complete 1992 Donruss Rookies set. I had less than half of this set, and now just need #69 Pedro Martinez to finish it off.
The other set had four complete or nearly-complete Syracuse Chiefs sets. 1990 . . .
. . . 1991 . . .
. . . 1992 (missing Al Leiter and David Weathers) . . .
. . . and 1994.
Among the miscellaneous cards I picked up was this sheet of 2004 Fleer Mets from the New York Post, which I cut up. I got the Yankee sheet a few years ago.
1992 Bowmans are not a common occurrence in the wild. I needed all but Miller.
Some Ultra inserts including five from the Eckersley set.
Some more oddballs I picked up along the way of paging through the other binders. Didn't mean to add the wrestling card, so that's up for trade. Turned out I already had almost all of these, except for a couple of the '93 Score and '92 Topps Kids.


9 comments:

  1. Wow lots of good stuff there, I would have bought it too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have 4 of the 1991 Line Drive AA:224, 339, 360, and 641. Ill reach out on TCDB.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I miss doing yard sales on the weekends. Maybe I should try some of that for a few months instead of running all over the place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that '91 Line Drive set. But it's so huge that I'll never complete it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hit up my first garage sale in years this past Saturday... but didn't find any cards. Glad you found some. That 1991 Line Drive set sure brings back memories. When that came out, I was still working at my LCS and I'd open a few packs here and there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're right, it's definitely more fun to buy things in person at garage sales. Good finds, Bo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Minor league cards aren't really my thing, but nice finds!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hate to say it, because I really dislike him, but that Bonds insert is pretty cool. And I had no idea that Eckersley ever got his own insert set.

    ReplyDelete