Thursday, February 1, 2018

Baseball card stories from Ryan Knox

Outfielder Ryan Knox played eight seasons of professional baseball, mostly in the Brewers organization. In 789 games he hit .265 with 28 HR, 218 RBI and 254 SB. Now the Director of the Fitness and Recreation Center at Heartland Community College in Normal, IL, he kindly answered my questions about baseball cards.

- Do you have any stories about cards of yourself or of other players?  
I was fortunate enough to be in the Topps 2000 rookie traded set (fooled them).  It also included a one off card of about 500 that I was required to sign.  The Topps guy that was there to verify the signature fell asleep while I was signing them. “Topps Signature Verifier” – not a fun job.
 
 - Do you have a favorite card of yourself or of another player? 
The Billy Ripken of course. Steve Scarborough was my favorite minor league player – so I kept my own and his out of the team sets to keep and threw the rest out. I think throwing out Prince Fielder's card was a mistake in retrospect.
- Do you collect baseball cards? 

Not anymore. I did as a kid. Getting a McGwire or Canseco was better than gold. I had a phase of trying to collect every Roben Ventura card at one point. I think the “Noogie” he endured from Ryan changed things for me.

Thanks!

1 comment: