Sunday, February 18, 2018

Baseball card stories from Alec Zumwalt

Alec Zumwalt was an outfielder for three seasons in the Braves system, then pitched in the Braves, Brewers and A's organizations from 2002 to 2007. In 253 games he went 14-24 with 33 saves and a 4.45 ERA. Now the Director of Baseball Operations for the Kansas City Royals, he kindly answered my questions about baseball cards.

"I collected baseball, basketball and football cards when I was a kid & have passed my collection on to my four sons. A funny story is that I traded most of my Ken Griffey Jr collection (including the Upper Deck Rookie) in 1993 to my best friend Alan Beck for his collection of Ryne Sandbergs & Nolan Ryans. My Dad never collected as a kid so my collection is from 1986-1994 but my Great Uncle gave me a 1962 Topps Luis Aparicio which is my oldest card by far.
 
When I was in the Gulf Coast League in 1999, we had to sign our Topps contract, in which they payed a check to every player for $5 in the clubhouse after being in the heat all day. I did not realize that they would take the signature (in which I intentionally did not sign in my normal penmanship) & stamp it on my card 5 years later. If I had known, I would have signed properly so that you could actually read it! So if you see my 2004 Bowman Chrome card & compare to any card I have ever signed, you can’t miss how different the signatures are.
My favorite card in my collection is the only one I ever had signed. I went to Spring Training in Arizona several years when I was younger & never asked for signatures on my cards. When we moved to North Carolina, my Dad took me to a Greensboro Hornets game in 1993 to see this shortstop that he had read about in the newspaper. When he told me the name, I remembered that I had his card and found his 1993 Pinnacle 1st Round Draft Pick card in my collection. I waited outside the clubhouse after the game & got him to sign it along with a great conversation about hitting & playing shortstop in pro ball. Little did I know then that Derek Jeter would become one of the greatest players in New York Yankee history."
Thanks! Here is a card of him from my collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment