Saturday, April 23, 2011

Tad Powers on baseball cards

Tad Powers pitched nine seasons of professional baseball in the US and Australia, including time in the Orioles organization. After his playing career ended, he owned and managed the Sydney Wave in Australia and started a sports card company called Futera Sports Cards, which he later sold to Crazy Cards, the makers of Pokemon. Now back in the US as President of the Sandlot Baseball & Softball Academies in Colorado, he kindly answered my questions about baseball cards.

"I started a baseball card company in Australia called Futera for the Australian Baseball League in 1989 (Pepsi ABL) later sold to Crazy Cards. Yes I collect and still have my collection. My favorite is my Sydney Wave card."

Thanks! I couldn't find a picture of the Sydney Wave card, but here is one of Powers (middle right) on a card from his US playing days.

Here are some examples of Futera cards, including one of future American star David Nilsson.

2 comments: