Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Rookies, Stars, Mets/Yanks, & Marlins & Rockies 1st year cards 1981-present

Sometimes you can get a really good deal buying cards on Craigslist. This weekend I got 7000 cards for less than half a cent a card. And many of them were not commons, but were in a 5000-count box with "Rookies, Stars, Mets/Yanks, & Marlins & Rockies 1st year cards 1981-present". (The guy used to sell at card shows.)

Now, these rookies and stars are of the Kirk Gibson/John Olerud variety, not the Cal Ripken/Derek Jeter variety, but I don't mind - I still needed a lot of these cards. Still, there is going to be a LOT of trade bait in here as well. As the sign suggests, a lot of this trade bait will be Yankee cards, Met cards, Marlins cards and Rockies cards from 1993, minor stars of the eighties and nineties, and minor rookie cards of the eighties and nineties. A lot of the rookies are things like 1989 Topps cards with the Topps Rookie Cup or 1991 Donruss series 1 Rated Rookies (of which there were like ten of each). Anyone interested in trading for any of this stuff, let me know!

There were also a lot of cards from the parallel sets of the early 90s. I think 1994 Score Gold Rush is my new favorite set. It's hard to tell from a photograph, but when you get a nice brick of them, they glint like gold jewelry.

I will have a few dupes of these to trade if anyone collects those or wants them for their team collections. There are more dupes of 1992 and 1993 Topps Gold as well. Most interestingly, I got three copies of the notoriously hard-to-find 1993 Rick Sauveur Topps Gold, which means I have two to trade. Royals or Mets fans who want to get a card of each player who played for their team may be interested in this card. If you are not familiar with it, here is a great story about one Mets fan's obsessive quest to find this card.

I also got plenty of regular 1993 Topps and have a ton of these to trade. I also got one card I needed, Marquis Grissom.

I'm now down to ten needs for this set. Does anyone have any of these to trade?
62 Rafael Belliard
180 Darren Daulton
239 Mike Boddicker
286 Ron Karkovice
460 Randy Johnson
520 Charlie Hough
609 Lance Parrish
639 Mike Bordick
700 Nolan Ryan
701 Piazza/Delgado

Also, with this John Kruk card, I'm down to five needs in 1989 Donruss.

Does anyone have any of these to trade?
33 Ken Griffey Jr
53 Gary Carter
154 Nolan Ryan
199 Kent Hrbek
208 Bo Jackson

I was originally just going to buy the big box of semi-stars, but I caved and bought a couple of boxes of commons as well when I saw that there was some 1984 Fleer in there. I love that set and still need most of it. Here is one great card I've wanted for a long time:

You know your haul was pretty great when you get not one but two different cards of players singing the national anthem.

3 comments:

  1. Whoa, that Roy Lee Jackson is pretty epic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would be up for trading for some Red Sox stuff. My wantlist is here:

    https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AsSTHdRrSVUUdHZEMG1ZTktXUHR0SHIxZWYzOEFMVVE&hl=en#gid=0

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you still need them, I believe I may have this:

    89 Donruss: Bo Jackson
    89 Donruss: Nolan Ryan

    dw.reds@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete