Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Casey Deskins on baseball cards

Casey Deskins pitched in the Dodgers organization from 1996 to 1998, and was then a minor league coach and major league video coordinator for the team. Now a youth baseball coach and a realtor at The Poling Team in Gilbert, AZ, he kindly answered my questions about baseball cards.

"I always liked my first card with the Yakima Bears. It was an action shot that shows the stress on your arm when throwing a baseball. I collected cards growing up mid 80s to early 90s. One story I will always remember. I remember being a huge fan of Devon White and thinking he would be a great player someday. My buddy liked some guy named Greg Maddux and thought he would be good. I must have traded him 50 Maddux rookies for White rookies when they came out. I wish I could do that one over. When I was with the Dodgers I had a chance to tell both of them the story since they both had time with the team."

Thanks! I couldn't find any pictures of Deskins's cards (in addition to the 1996 Yakima Bears team issue he referenced, he is also in 1997 San Antonio Stampede Best and 1998 San Antonio Missions Grandstand), but here he is as a Dodgers coach with fellow coaches Maury Wills and Tommy Davis.

1 comment:

  1. Cool story. I can't tell you how many things I'd like to do over when it comes to cards.

    ReplyDelete