Sunday, October 11, 2009

Baseball card story from Bob Scanlan

Bob Scanlan pitched nine years in the major leagues. His best season was 1992, when he saved 14 games with a 2.89 ERA for the Cubs. He now hosts the pre-game and post-game shows for the Padres. He kindly replied to my request for stories about baseball cards.

"The only one I can think of off the top of my head is that when I was with the Phillies I used to get requests every day to sign Von Hayes' card. Also had a request to sign Paul Assenmacher's card once - I never wore a beard!

I haven't been a collector since my mom sold my good size collection at a garage sale when I was a kid...geez!"

Thanks, Scan! I can see the resemblance between him and Hayes:

Assenmacher is a tougher one to figure out. Maybe the fan thought he had shaved his beard?

No comments:

Post a Comment