Thursday, August 22, 2024

Roundup of vintage star cards (and a little trade bait)

Some fun low-grade vintage star variety in the Greg Morris pickups from two weeks ago. Highlights include another Goudey wide pen (HOFer Frankie Frisch!) and a couple of HOFers from early 1940s Play Ball sets, marred a bit by heavy glue stains. I goofed on the Exhibits Mickey Vernon - that one is available if anyone needs it.

Last week's has more star power. Check out the Bowman Phil Rizzuto, and compare it to the Red Man Rizzuto above. Another glue-stained Play Ball HOFer (Bobby Doerr) and possibly the most star-studded league leaders card ever.
One more card from that group - my first 1955 Topps Doubleheader! I actually have a 1911 Mecca Double Folder, and I have plenty of the 2003 Fleer Doubleheaders, but this is my first '55! It's a beautiful card, with HOFer Hal Newhouser . . .
. . . and KC A's relief ace Charlie Bishop!
I won a couple of other lots recently. This 1957 star lot was $1 a card. The Kluszewski alone is worth the $6. I bid on it the same day I got the Minoso from an OBCer, so now I have one available. I also already had Kell, so the lipsticked HOFer is available as well. I did need the two future managers and the terrific Ebbets Field shot. Wes Covington sure had some nice-looking cards.
I also won a lot of 1950 Bowman which also came out to about a dollar a card. There were 11 cards total. Here are seven of them (Randy Gumpert, Bobby Morgan, Gil Coan, Monte Kennedy, Howie Judson, Mickey Haefner and Dave Philley).
Here are the other four. Top left is my first playing-days card of HOFer Luke Appling! Top right is another HOFer, Cubs manager Frank Frisch. And on the bottom are two cards of White Sox pitcher Bill Wight. The extra Wight (happy to trade the better one) is available.
Only one single-card pickup. Another Willie Mays! I've been on a role with him lately.

 

3 comments:

  1. That 1955 Topps Doubleheader is sweet! Discovered that set in a 90's magazine (guessing Tuff Stuff or SCD) and thought they were really cool, but never saw one in person until a few years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm envious of your Post cards in that first photo.

    ReplyDelete