Saturday, August 3, 2024

Roundup of vintage star cards (and trade bait)

 Here's my Greg Morris winnings from two weeks ago. Photo came out fuzzy, but it was a nice modest pickup of mostly high-numbers and oddballs.

And then last week's, which was much larger in number. This was the main area, with a lot of 1959 and 1960 high numbers, plus several big stars.
I won seven different Red Man cards. But I should have been paying more attention, as I had already won the '54 Al Rosen (see top photo) but hadn't noted it. Anyone interested in trading for it?
I also won six Topps supers. The competition must have been on vacation for me to have won all of these with low bids. Three Hall-of-Famers each from 1970 and 1971. These cards are thick and sturdy enough to use as a workbench. Which appears to have been what these were used for, as several cards have thick staple holes and Rose looks like it got carved by a screwdriver. Still, they're beautiful cards.
I saw two '63 Post Sandy Koufax cards on the same day and bid what I thought was pretty modestly, hoping to win one.
But I guess it wasn't as modest as I thought as I won them both. Well, one more to trade! Hopefully someone can use one of these.
I was able to pick up two '63s for a quarter each. Doesn't happen often so it's a nice surprise when it does.
Capping it off with one more card that was more than a quarter but still quite reasonable. Roger Maris!

 

3 comments:

  1. Yep, I could use a Post Koufax. I'm in the middle of preparing a return envelope to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's probably a joke here about Pet Rose and screwdrivers, but it's not coming to me at the moment. Some pretty big names for the '61 Post set in that first photo. And I don't know if you know about it or not, but Greg Morris now has (for the last few months) their own separate site where they run weekly auctions while still doing their eBay thing as well. The shipping price is the same, and the listings are different. I've not bought anything on there yet, but it might be worth you checking out if you haven't already done so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Am I too late to note you've got different Koufax cards? The narrower version (with visible top and right borders) is #121 Jell-O Pudding and the wider version's #121 Post Cereal. You can distinguish by width of their red stat lines, where the shorter version's always Jell-O. (While checklists are identical, short-printed cards differ, and dealers are notorious for selling one set's SPs as the other set.) Hope that helps you decide which cards to hang on to!

    ReplyDelete