Friday, September 4, 2020

Vintage fun from Night Owl

 Night Owl is the "Dodger Guy" but he always says he's a set collector first. He's working on a '67 set, and I was able to send him a bunch of cards from my recent '67 lot purchase. In return he sent me this great assortment of vintage cards.

Here's a '67 that I needed, a '68 Yankee I didn't have, a World Series card with Johnny Bench, and two early '70s high-numbers, including Bobby Pfeil wearing the famous Red Sox pinstripes.

Some much older cards here. Mostly Brooklyn boys here, but there's also Moose Skowron, who hit a grand slam against the Dodgers in Game 7 of the 1956 World Series to help the Yankees coast to the 9-0 win.
But the big highlight of this trade was 16 cards from 1956 Topps! So many great cards here. Hall-of-Famer Hoyt Wilhelm. Some great Yankee stadium backgrounds on Jackie Jensen and Jim Konstanty. Jerry Schoonmaker muffing a fly ball.
Team cards! A pitcher bunting! Another Yankee (Big Eddie Robinson!) And two catchers named Hal Smith.
Are you confused by two catchers named Hal Smith? Topps was too. Both cards feature the signature of the Orioles' catcher (look at the ld in Harold).






3 comments:

  1. Ha, I didn't know the same signature was on both cards. I wasn't even aware I sent both Hal Smiths!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that '55 Erskine is really neat! Cool catch on those signatures too, I would've never noticed such a thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are one heck of a detective to discover those two Smith signatures are identical. Very impressive... just like this NO package.

    ReplyDelete