Sunday, September 27, 2020

Cards and Vintage Things: August 15, 1952

 On August 15, 1952, Eisenhower and Stevenson were traveling the country in their campaigns to replace Truman, while attempts at diplomacy in Korea were failing. That day someone stamped the back of this Westbury Manor matchbook. Opened in 1946 on Jericho Turnpike in Westbury, L.I., the venue still exists today, catering weddings and other events. Personally I can't remember if I've been there myself or not; I've been to several similar venues in the area and they all pretty much look alike to me.

That date wasn't great for the New York teams, either. The eventual pennant winners, Yankees and Dodgers, both lost on the road, while the Giants split a doubleheader with the Braves in the Polo Grounds. Hank Thompson's two-run home run in the eighth inning of a 1-1 game in the nightcap salvaged the night for the Giants. (This card is a 1994 Topps reprint, not an original 1954.)



2 comments:

  1. You need to work on getting Hank's original '54, and I say this without knowing how much it sells for :)

    ReplyDelete