Tuesday, September 8, 2020

Cards and vintage things: Model Railroader

A couple of times a year we would take the kids to a model train show in our area. They like to look at the model cities, towns, countryside, etc. We go with my father-in-law who is a big train fan. They usually have stacks of train magazines and catalogs that are free to take on your way out.  The kids like to take some for art projects and such. The last time we were there, some time last year, I noticed some much older-looking magazines. My father-in-law and I split up what we could find. I ended up with four from 1948-1949, two from 1961 and one from 1973. I'm not really into model trains but it's always interesting to read anything from that era. 

Here are the four oldest ones with some cards of the most famous baseball player/model railroader, Joe DiMaggio. DiMaggio was a big fan of model trains and hosted a short-lived TV show for Lionel in 1950. He once appeared on the cover of a magazine called Model Builder with a train set. He was never on the cover of Model Railroader but here is a 2007 article about celebrity modelers which mentions him.





4 comments:

  1. Still have some HO train stuff in boxes at my mom's house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder what Marilyn thought of Joe's train set?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Joltin' Joe hosting a TV show about model trains? I'm not a train guy either, but how could you not tune in at least once?

    ReplyDelete