Saturday, September 12, 2020

Cards and vintage things: Tricky Dick and the Swingin' A's

 My Don and Chris Old Stuff order had a lot of Committee to Re-Elect the President (CREEP) material. I'm guessing they produced a lot more stuff than they ended up using. I picked up this and another flyer (I'll show it in another post) not for any love of Nixon, but just because I thought it was cool to have something that was supposed to be posted up on telephone poles or something and then thrown out almost 50 years ago, but still survived.

According to the daily Presidential diary, Nixon arrived in Warren,OH (about an hour outside of Cleveland) at 5:20, so the crowd must have been waiting for a long time. It appears this was actually a motorcade that traveled through several Ohio towns. The President and First Lady stopped briefly at the courthouse to greet some members of the crowd, before moving on to Youngstown.

This motorcade took place about a week after the Oakland A's won their first World Series since they were in Philadelphia in 1930. Two Cleveland natives were on that team - Sal Bando and Mike Hegan. They presumably were not at the event but likely were aware of it. Bando and several other A's had actually already met Nixon, at an August 1971 White House event during Vida Blue's historic run.



2 comments:

  1. I'm kind of surprised that the "... and Mrs. Nixon", wasn't done in even smaller print.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just received an email saying that Don and Chris offered me $5 free dollars to spend on their site, but I couldn't find anything I really, really had to have in order to justify the cost of shipping. Maybe I'll spend a few minutes today browsing their inventory a little more.

    ReplyDelete