Thursday, September 3, 2020

Dodgers cards from their biggest fan

 There are quite a few Dodger fan bloggers, but none more prominent than Night Owl. People from all over go out of their way to send him Dodger cards. Recently he declared that he had so many that he was giving some away. At first I didn't participate, figuring I would let the Dodger fans jump on it. But a few weeks later he still had more to give away, so I signed up, figuring I might get a few cards new to my collection.

I got the package this week from N.O. (along with some vintage cards from a trade - will recap that in a later post). I got more than a few new cards - of the 52 cards he sent (not including a sealed minor league set) - I actually needed 30 of them! This was no "mostly junk wax" package.

Some highlights: 

My '92 McDonald's and '96 Studio sets are almost complete. But those two were cards I still needed. And I love the great backgrounds on the Newcombe (Ebbetts Field) and Koufax (crew-cut '60s kids) cards.
I have so many Fleer box sets but this was my first card from '87 Hottest Stars. I also love the vintage photo of Gil Hodges and the shiny Nomo and Mondesi cards.

There was also this sealed 1988 San Antonio Missions team set! 

Every card was taken in the same location, with the players looking into the hot San Antonio sun, leading to some extreme squinting on a few cards.
And it wouldn't be a minor league set without a pitcher posing with a bat!



1 comment:

  1. It's always a joy to distribute Dodger cards ... and, yes, I tried to avoid sending 1991 Donruss.

    ReplyDelete