Friday, August 21, 2020

Retail Cavalcade from Dime Boxes

I recently got a great trade package Nick from Dime Boxes. It hit a variety of collecting interests, but most squarely in the area of oddballs, especially retail oddballs. As I've become more and more interested in older retail in general, it is fun to get more "branded" cards.

Nick had posted this card recently, and I had commented on the irony of a Hills card with a Foodtown sign prominent in the background, as both were local Long Island-area supermarkets in the 1970s and 1980s. Of course, this is a different Foodtown and a different Hills (this one a department store), but I still thought it was funny. I was quite pleasantly surprised to find this card in my package!

Hills was just one of the many brands in Nick's package. There were three Pepsi cards, my favorite logo. The Scott Harvey card is actually a Canadian semi-pro card from 1984. Cool card - semi-pro wouldn't really fit into my pro baseball collection but it's a fun addition to my Pepsi collection. Other retail/product brands here: Dairy Queen, Drake's, Burger King, M&Ms, Kellogg's, North Star Ice Cream (actually a coupon on the back - expired 2017), 7-Up, Holiday Inn and Tombstone Pizza. I'd never seen a Holiday Inn card anymore. Not the biggest Ripken fan but that's a great card.
There were lots of other cool cards though. Some more highlights: A Sports Illustrated fold-out checklist card (they call it "contents" - cute). An oversized O-Pee-Chee poster, my first of those. Yankees Clint Frazier and CC Sabathia cards from their times as Indians minor leaguers. (The CC card mentions on the back that he is "starting to fill out" LOL). Also my first Japanese Kanebo card and my first Topps Hot Button, a see-through card set I've never seen before.


 

3 comments:

  1. I do like the food brands when the logo is on the front. I have a Coca Cola Bob Boone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you enjoyed everything & sorry again I took so long in getting those out your way!

    ReplyDelete