Sunday, June 7, 2020

Golden superstars and other wonders

There are a lot of new blogs out there lately which is great. I'll be honest, I don't read all of them. When I scroll down and see nothing but "look what I got" posts I lose interest. Some of them have fun content though, and one of the best new ones is Wax Pack Wonders. This one calls back to the roots of the early blogs with it's fun take on the funny photos, players, etc on junkwax-era cards.

Jeff and I have a trade in progress but I also participated in a recent giveaway he held. There were Hall-of-Famers, recent stars, and modern stars. I picked Pete Rose as the Hall-of-Famer to be funny, and David Cone and Starlin Castro because I liked them on the Yankees.

Not often I'd say this but my favorite card here is a Mets card. I love Broders and this one I had never seen before. Some Broders say "Super Stars" on the back. This one has an orange border, maybe could be called "gold" if you squint enough. On the back it is called "Golden Superstars".

Other highlights include the two '86 Rose cards - I thought they were Donruss at first - but they're Leaf!

I almost threw out the empty envelope when I noticed the stamps. Now that I am doing my own PWEs I'm paying attention to them. Those two 29 cent stamps are from 1991, and the 13 cent stamp was issued in 1976! Very cool!

2 comments:

  1. That 1976 Olympic stamp is really cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No matter how we try to frame them, when broken down, the majority of card blog posts are of the "look what I got" variety, most people wouldn't have any content if they stopped showing acquisitions (myself included).

    ReplyDelete