Tuesday, June 20, 2017

60-year-old cards

I won a really fantastic prize in All Trade Bait, All The Time's Big Fun Game - several baseball cards from the 1950s! These beauties are now the oldest cards in my collection and they are really fantastic.

Three cards from 1958. Two Dodger Dons from their first year in L.A., and a Joe Nuxhall. Nuxhall is famous for being the youngest-ever major leaguer. It is also my first Cincinnati Redlegs card.
 Two from 1956. Pedro Ramos and Carl Furillo were both excellent players. Furillo in particular was a beloved Brooklyn Dodger. My first Brooklyn Dodger card!
 Two from 1955 - a Bowman Bob Darnell, another Dodger, and "Rip" Repulski. "Rip" was a nickname, his given name was Eldon John.
 Finally, this beauty which is now the oldest card in my collection - a 1953 Topps Sid Gordon. I don't even have any Milwaukee Braves in my collection - and this one is a Boston Brave! Largely forgotten today, Gordon, a Brooklyn native, received MVP votes for five straight years and hit 202 home runs in an era when there were not nearly as many home runs hit.

No comments:

Post a Comment