Thursday, September 22, 2011

Baseball card stories from Matt Klinker

Matt Klinker was drafted by the Reds in 2007 and has moved steadily through their system, this year going 9-8 at AA Carolina and AAA Louisville. He kindly shared with me his baseball card stories.

"I don't have any crazy stories about baseball cards. I love when we head out for batting practice or the game to compare which of my teammates is getting asked for their autograph the most. Normally it is the top prospects, but other times you might be surprised about who is popular just based on the way they treat the fans at home or maybe being from a hometown close to where we are.

There are always inside jokes that take place during the season, and I also try to get the team set they give us, signed by my buddies with personalized, funny notes on them. Hopefully some day I will be able to look back, remember, and have a laugh.


I have been included in numerous team sets, but 2011 was the first year I had a card made by a legit card company. I was very impressed with the different varieties Bowman issued of my card, but I really like them all. It was a very surreal, but also humbling experience. Growing up, I had an autographed card of Ryan Sandberg framed in my room. I'm sure I still have it somewhere, but its not on my wall anymore.

My brother and I definitely collected cards when we were younger, and I have the majority of my collection to this day. We didn't spent a lot of money on it, just mostly trades with some kids in our neighborhood."


Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment