Monday, November 23, 2009

You know you're a baseball card nerd when . . .

. . . you recognize someone by the baseball card being handed to them to autograph.

I was pulling some Bob Walk cards for SpastikMooss of Great Sports Name Hall of Fame (he is, believe it or not, a Bob Walk collector) and seeing this card reminded me of something that happened four or five years ago.

I work near the Grand Hyatt Hotel on 42nd Street and Lexington Avenue in NYC, which is where visiting teams stay when they play the Yankees or Mets. Autograph collectors know this and often hang around the entrance hoping to get a signature or two. I see them sometimes when I walk past on my lunch hour. The only time I actually saw someone signing was this one time when someone was handing Pirates announcer and former pitcher Bob Walk this 1990 Score card. Not being a watcher of Pirate broadcasts I would never have recognized the man, but I recognized the card instantly!

So when I think of Bob Walk and especially this card I think of how I recognized the card but not the player signing it.

3 comments:

  1. haha that's a great story. Was he sporting his awesome mustache, or was it post shaving Walk?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad I'm not the only one who had this experience. :)

    ReplyDelete