Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Interview with Ruben Flores

Ruben Flores (who likes to be called "Flo") started his pro baseball career in the Mariners organization. A Midwest League All-Star in 2009 with 18 saves for the Clinton Lumber Kings, he was traded to the Brewers on August 19, 2009 straight-up for veteran infielder Bill Hall. He kindly took the time to answer my questions about baseball cards.

Bo Rosny: Do you have any stories about cards of yourself or of other players?
Ruben Flores: Stories about my self unfortunately i don't have, but i can remember as a kid my favorite athletes were Michael Jordan and Nolan Ryan which might i add still are. But i can remember that one day eating cereal i saw on the back of the Wheaties box there was a chance to get a collection of Jordan cards if i mailed in like 10 upc's. So me being excited and wanting the cards, I asked my parents if we could buy the 10 boxes of Wheaties to get the UPC's so i could mail them in. I was happy that we were able to send the 10 upc's in but sad that i had to eat 10 boxes of Wheaties and let me tell you Wheaties don't exactly have the best taste for a 10 year old kid, i think by half way through the 2nd box i had given up and told my parents that i would work off the other 8 boxes.

BR: Do you have a favorite card of yourself or of another player?
RF: This last year i made the MILB Midwest league all star game which was pretty sweet and i got a baseball card that says exactly that. i thought it was pretty cool first one ever, hopefully more to come.
[His card is on the top right in this picture]

BR: Do you collect baseball cards?
RF: I used to collect them, i had a ton. I had all the players put by their team and position in a little binder in card sheets. I stopped after about 12 years old, just got way to busy traveling with my teams that i grew up with but something i could really get back into.

Thanks, Flo!

No comments:

Post a Comment