Friday, April 10, 2009

Mets-Phillies routs from 1986

A while back I posted about how Ron Roenicke was the last card I needed to complete the 1987 Topps set. I decided to see if I could narrow down what game it was, and sure enough, he only played one day game at Shea Stadium that year, September 21, 1986. That day the Phillies got the better of the Mets, 7-1.
Roenicke didn't have such a great day, though, going 0-4.

Gary Redus hit a two-run homer off starter John Mitchell in the fourth to give Philadelphia a lead they would not relinquist.

This is either that home run or his line-out to center in the sixth. (Or a foul ball, but that's no fun.)

This is one of my favorite cards in one of my favorite sets. I figured it must be the same game, but it turns out it's not. That's Luis Aguayo at bat, with Rick Schu on deck, meaning it must be April 20, 1986, a game the Mets won 8-0. Aguayo and Schu both took 0-fers on this day. Gary Redus got on base once, leading off the game, and was caught stealing, which must be what is being shown here. It's fun to finally go back and figure out what happened on a play you had a picture of for more than 20 years. And by the way, there's Hall of Famer Mike Schmidt in the dugout framed by Gary Carter's legs! How many times do you see two hall-of-famers on a card without it being staged? Schmidt was 1-3 if you are curious.

I am assuming that the Redus card comes from the September game rather than the April, because it is cloudy like the Roenicke card, not sunny like the Carter.

No comments:

Post a Comment