Tuesday, August 15, 2023

Paul McClellan on baseball cards

Paul McClellan pitched eight seasons of professional baseball, including time in the major leagues with the Giants in 1990 and 1991. In 17 major league games he went 3-7 with a 5.26 ERA. In 149 minor league games he went 61-62 with a 3.93 ERA. Recently retired from a career in law enforcement in California, he kindly answered my questions about baseball cards.


"I have a couple cards in my collection that I keep locked up. Most of my cards are Greg Maddux and Cal Ripken. I’m not really a big collector though, but I have a few. I usually get about fifty to a hundred of my own cards sent through the mail each month and sign them within a couple of days. When I was a Deputy Sheriff I would let the cards sit on the table for months because I worked so much. Now I sign and send them right back. Don’t want that karma bug following me. 🤣. My two favorite cards of myself are the 92 Fleer and 92 Topps with a gold border. Both good action shots. I’ve gotten a lot of cards from people all over the world including cards from soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan. Pretty cool stuff with some great stories."

Thanks!

2 comments:

  1. Good stuff.
    He probably has a Schmidt locked up, because it's so much better than his Maddux and Ripken cards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You don't hear about a lot of ex-ballplayers going into law enforcement after they're done playing anymore. It's nice to hear that he's so positive when it comes to autograph requests too.

    ReplyDelete